Monday, October 25, 2010

“If I don't like it, I don't like it – that don't mean that I'm hatin...”

Ok....this discussion seems long overdue so it's time to put it all out on the table. First – a brief history lesson: Soooooooo circa 1995 – 1997, Diddy's (then Puff Daddy) Bad Boy Entertainment was the first to popularize the term “playa hater”. This was meant to call out those “hip-hop purists” who were at opposition with the lavish lifestyle that was branded by Bad Boy in its hay day. Since then we've heard different variations of the term used (Hater, Ph. D, and one that should never be used in 2010 - “hater-aid”). It seems like we've seen every version of a “hater” song released. Needless to say, it is a common and sometimes overused term in our culture.    

My question is this...what makes someone a hater?

Lately, I feel like I've had to passionately stand up for some of our popular artists – not because I feel like they're God's gift to hip-hop – but because they are unfairly criticized. Don't get me wrong...if you've listened to their music with an open mind and realized it's not your cup of tea, I can't be mad at you. But if you're upset that they're always on the radio so you call them “wack” or “overrated” - that's just unfair.

For instance, I've talked to friends who've introduced me to Drake's music when So Far Gone was popular. They sold me onto him: said “He is the future!”, “He's the best thing to happen to hip-hop!”, etc. Now, since he's gotten popular, they refuse to listen to him because they don't “feel him anymore.” “Why?” I ask, out of curiosity. “They just don't rap like they used to.” This confuses me because unless I heard a different version of Thank Me Later, not much has changed in Drake's flow and formula since So Far Gone: same monotone flow, same rhyme scheme, same punchline setup, same style of hooks. I've also heard people say “he can't rap.”, which is the biggest pile of bs I've ever heard. Let it be known: Skee-Lo can't rap. Are we comparing Drake's talent level to that of a Skee-Lo?! I can see the argument in saying he can't sing...but Drake can rap circles around most rappers out right now. Do not sit here and tell me Drake does not have talent. You may not like his style or delivery, but that's completely different than saying he has the inability to put words together. That's just harsh.  


I think it's funny that the same people who used to complain about the state of hip-hop - crying that they're tired of artists glorifying violence, misogyny, and ignorance - are the same ones who dislike Drake: an artist who is the complete opposite of these images. He's clean cut, fairly positive, smiles, dresses nice, articulate, non-violent, caters to women and he sings. Where's the problem?



I used Drake as a point of reference because of his current popularity, but this could be said about any popular artist: Kanye West, T.I., Jay-Z, Lil Wayne...even Wiz Khalifa – but on a smaller scale. My point is that we need to learn how to listen to music objectively and stop listening for faults. The only thing that should matter when you listen to something is “how does it make you feel?” That's it. Different artists have different strengths. Paul Wall is one of the worst rappers to ever go platinum, but for some reason “Sittin' Sideways” stayed on repeat at one point in time for me. Am I not allowed to like The Roots and Paul Wall at the same time? I can't like Jay Electronica and Waka Flocka Flame?  If I judged every artist on their talent level or lyrical content, half of my 400 gigs of music would be deleted. I would never describe Triple 6 Mafia as the most talented rappers on earth, but dammit, their music makes me feel good. Does that make you look down on me?







It baffles me because we don't know how to listen to artists objectively. Example - I'm not a fan of Chuck D. Yeah, I said it. I'm just not. At least not as a rapper. Lyrically he does nothing for me. Is he in my top 5? Not even close. Top 10? Not at all. But I recognize this man is intelligent and incorporates poetic devices in his writing. I understand he was the face of an entire hip-hop generation in the late 80's. I have a huge respect for him. Unfortunately, his music just doesn't reach me the same way that Nas' does...or Jay-Z. Of course I grew up in a different era, so that's part of it. But I do recognize his impact on the game.

So back to my original question....what makes someone a hater? 


I think a hater is someone who dislikes something without proper reason. Right now, it's a trend to not be a fan of current mainstream hip-hop. We like to prove how wise and omniscient we are by showing off our useless music knowledge, name dropping unknown underground artists and complaining how “music isn't what it used to be”, the same way our parents did when we were growing up.

In addition, we as a people love to root for the underdog. We love to see someone overcome obstacles and make it to the top. Maybe it's us embracing movies like Scarface and Forrest Gump. Maybe it's the constant teachings of David and Goliath as kids in Sunday school. Whatever it is, we love to see someone succeed against all odds. And at the end of the day, that's what hip-hop was built on. Making something out of nothing. But here's the problem: We're also crabs. The same way we wanna see that person succeed, we don't want them to get “too” successful. God forbid. We love artists when they're “underground” and virtually unknown because of the novelty of it all. We feel like we have something that no one else has, and it feels great! But the minute that artist “crosses over” and becomes mainstream.......it's on to the next phenomenon. Happens every time. 



I challenge you – the next time you find yourself saying something negative about a mainstream artist – ask yourself is it because you're truly not feeling it? Or have you just trained yourself to not like what's popular, without giving it a neutral and unbiased listen? Can we learn to accept artists for what they are and the roles they play? We can't truly expect every rapper to speak on the plight of society or say something deep and profound. Not to say we should support ignorance all the time, but we need to lighten up! And if at that point, you still don't like it....then I guess you ain't hatin...


9 comments:

  1. Speak on it! Feel free to leave your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I love this topic soo much! I feel the EXACT same way. I had to stop not liking everything that wasn't what I was used to. Not for the sake of sounding like a "hater", but after obtaining an open-mind, I found that I could actually listen to music that I wouldn't EVER rock on a regular basis.

    MY personal definition of a hater is "someone who is upset because they were rejected from a blessing that, in truth, belongs to someone else". Which is why I cannot hate on someone else's music. Because they've made it and I am still trying to.

    Soooo....thanks to my little brother, I have a much more open mind to different types of music. He and I, for the most part, enjoy the SAME type of music, but he is more in tuned to what's poppin in clubs and what's hot in the streets due to his profession as security guard for clubs...which I use to my advantage when creating some new stuff.

    Great blog Ve. And what a way to allow people to see another way of appreciating different music. Because at the end of the day, music is music. Who are you to say what is and what isn't?

    Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am starting to look forward to Monday's just for this blog so good job bro. But anyways I feel what you are saying. I am not that type, I like everything from the ignorant/profane to the profound. I have been rockling to Yelawof and Gucci 's "I just Wanna party" lately. But som emcees do lose themselves when the sign a mojor and lose what got them their. I do not know if it is the label themselves or the tranisition an artists goes through but they lose it. So I do not think its me hating when they start to suck just my opinion. Because haters just are mad at other's success for no reason...I am just honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to say I don't believe in haters, because I've seen some things that just doesn't justify itself as an honest opinion. But, I don't think there are as many haters out there as there are strongly opinionated people. I used to be called a hater, hell, I used to believe I was one. Then I thought about it, and nah, I just don't like a lot of shit. I grew up in the 'what you said' era as opposed to 'how you said it' era. And if you don't think music has gone from those two points, then we won't have the same perspective at all. I'm not completely shutting either one out, I favor what I favor, I know. But it's when somebody comes to me and tells me something is dope, and it doesn't move me, I'm branded a hater. That deeply bothers me. Because as a self-proclaimed rehabilitated hater, I don't agree with your prepubescent assessment of my muscial taste.

    For example!

    A 'friend' was estatic about telling me that Wiz Khalifa is dope. So, I looked him up, got his mixtape, listened to the entire thing, and decided, I'm not a fan. He doesn't move me, he doesn't reach me and his talent isn't enough to keep me coming back to buy anything from him. So when I go back and say I didn't like it, I'm a hater... I didn't say I don't see his grind, I didn't say I think this dude has no talent, I said that (I wish I could double capitalize this letter) I! didn't like it. So the 'friend' gets mad, damn near irrate, with me! Even gets friends of theirs to come back at me for reinforcements asking me 'Why?'. So now, their defensiveness for this artist, is making NOT like him even more, lol. Because now everytime I hear his name, I have this situation to associate with him. And this is a classic case of 'reverse hatism'. Where the opinionated gets branded a hater because fans of certain artists are hating the fact that you aren't as big of a fan as they are. If I say I don't like, I don't like it... that don't mean that I'm hating.


    Sorry for the long post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! Okay so here it goes, I think my brother THINKS I am a hater! LOL. When I read this blog, I was like “wow, is he calling me out… really?” But, then I read it again, and decided, this definition doesn’t fit me and here’s why:


    If you know me, I am a fan of artist. I use to say lyrics, but I noticed, that there are people that are just artist that aren’t saying anything in particular that is revolutionary, but are authentic (think Cee Lo Green) and LOVED by me. As a fan of hip-hop, it bothers me that record labels, are pretending to be artist. It isn’t working. More importantly, it is severely disturbing. Music is a vibration that resonates in our souls. It has a much deeper meaning than we will ever understand. And now, that vibration is being controlled. (I KNOW that is a different topic for a different day, but so be it… It needed to be said).

    So If you were to ask me if I had an appreciation for Drake on his “So Far Gone” mix-tape, but completely changed my view with his “Thank Me Later” album… yep that is correct. I can’t say that I was ever in love with Drake as an artist, but I can say that I did tolerate him before… where as now, not so much. Does that make me a hater? I don’t think so. I DO NOT dislike his music because he is oversaturated, and successful. Actually, I dislike his music, because it isn’t allowed to evolve. Artist, evolve. We as people, aren’t the same from day to day. But for some reason, his “Thank Me Later” album was exactly the same. In my mind, here’s how it went:

    Drake, sat in an industry meeting and was told that he is extremely popular, and needed to strike while the iron is hot. They gave him a formula, told him what would sell, and made him come out with more of the same. Because of course, the unknown, doesn’t sell. So, that is what we were given. More of the same. Which in my mind, isn’t authentic. Creativity takes time. If they cared about the artistry of hip hop, they would allowed him time… and free creative control. I just don’t get the impression that he was given that.

    But arguably so, we can say that the Roots, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Common, ect, aren’t allowed to evolve . They are stuck in this “conscience” box that their fans won’t let them out of. But, at least then, they are saying SOMETHING. Their music, is making a difference in someone’s life. In my opinion, the only thing Soljah Boy Tell Em is doing is perpetuating ignorance. Sure there is something to be said, about a 16 year old boy, making his own beats, and becoming a millionaire through his hard work. But, In my mind, he is chasing money, not his passion.

    Call me idealistic, but I think, if you chase your passion, the money will come. A perfect example of this is Kanye. I have a HUGE appreciation for him because he is an ever evolving artist. It bothers me that hip-hop isn’t allowed the same freedoms that rock, r&b, alternative , ect are given. Perhaps it is because hip hop is young … and misunderstood. All the same, hip-hop is an ART, and should be treated as such.

    In my mind, there is nothing wrong with 3 six mafia, if they are artist. But, again, in my mind, they are chasing money. They are looking at a formula and deciding to write a song based on what they believe their audience wants to hear, not necessarily, what they want to say. I think the challenge for all artist is to stay true to themselves. Unfortunately, hip-hop is an art form that is being exploited, pimped, and slaved out for nonsense. No one cares about the artistry.

    So If you were to ask me what I am a hater of….are record labels pretending to be artist. Not the artist themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Affry - no ma'am I was not calling anyone out specifically, these are just the collective comments i've received from different people (including you) and that was just the overall attitude.

    I do think hip-hop is an art that should be studied and taken seriously, but I don't always blame the record labels for an artists business and branding. People always complain about the state of hip-hop, but do not support the artists they love. Yes, you have people like Soulja Boy who knows his audience so he'll always make songs to please them - because they'll buy it everytime! Why be mad? If he knows that what the people wanna hear, i can't be upset.

    But lemme ask you a question: if Jay Electronica, The Roots, and Mos Def were the top selling artists in 2010, would people hate? I think so.

    To me, the problem isn't the music. If Talib Kweli went platinum with the same material he's known for, he'd still catch flack because of our mentality as a people. Nas caught flack for It Was Written! It Was Written! Why? Because it didn't live up to Illmatic, and he had a "formula-driven" song with Lauryn Hill (who was hot at the time) on the hook. The album went 2X platinum. We know now, in 2010, that It Was Written is classic...but it's just our nature as a people. When someone "crosses over"...it doesn't matter about their content. People will say you "sold-out". We don't like to see people succeed. At least for too long. Drake is the perfect example. He said on So Far Gone "I want the money, cars and the clothes, and the hoes"...and we LOVED him for that. Now that he has all of those things, he's hated. Sure, Thank Me Later has it's "singles"...but have you really given it a listen? Listened to what he's talking about? Sure he doesn't speak on the plight of the people, but he says a lot of things to think about. And if you listen to it, you'll understand just why "Over" is placed exactly where it's placed on the album. It's a story. Maybe a story you're not interested in, but a story nonetheless. And like every good story, there's a clear beginning, middle and end...and has a climax and resolution.

    Again, I don't think hating has anything to do with the music. It's our mentality. As soon as we can confront our own issues with other people's success, the issue of hating will never be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the amount of people that are TRULY haters are few and far in between. I can't imagine that if Lupe Fiasco went 10x platinum that Scott and Roc (sorry for calling you out guys) wouldn't be ecstatic. Similarly, if Talib Kweli went 10x platinum I would be right in line with everyone else, buying his album.

    For me, it is REALLY about the music. That simple. And, ... and the legacy it leaves.

    Where is hip-hop's John Lenin, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, John Coltrane, Janis Joplin ect?? The music matters! And, it is way more than how it makes us feel! What legacy are we leaving? We have to get off this self serving attitude and realize how it implicates, or serves us as a community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes there are people who are professional antagonist who just go against the everything. Then there are those who are simply anti popular culture. Then they are those who are current artist or former artist that are afraid of success and dislike other artists that have achieved some level of success.

    As far as Hip Hop goes I think you have a Hip Hop "Nationalistic" crowd that is anti Integration. They look at artists who do things primarily for money as "Sell Outs" No one criticizes the wack artist who's not successful. I think its to that group its about whether or not you're being True to Who you are. Too Short gets love from all over in Hip Hop yet in lyrically simple and talks about the same topic for the most part. He gets respect because he's being himself.

    I think Hip Hop should continue to be critical and hold artists to various Standards (not just one). I think it keeps our music honest and it pushes artists because some of those artist who act like they don't care about being respected end up trying to step up their artist and lyrical game at some point. They listen.

    On the Chuck D tip I have to ask have you listened to PE's 1st Album Yo! Bum Rush the Show ? Chuck is doing more Emceeing on there and really not a lot of political talk. You may still not like him but you can see his transition if you start there 1st and then go to Nation of Millions. He is the actually fathered two hip hop styles. The staccato, off beat rhyme flow and two man vocal set with how Flava Flav would do more than just come in on the last word ad lib and would ad lib entire lines.

    Also if you study his writing style he the king of putting whole ideas in a few words. But I can also see how someone may not like his style just as an emcee. Just like Guru (God bless the dead)out of context could be considered wack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tah - While "Moment of Truth" is one of my favorite albums of all time because of the production, I admit I that I once considered Guru wack. It wasn't until "The Owners" dropped when I gained a deeper appreciation for him. I'm an artist first, so I will definitely study Chuck D, as he is one of the greats.

    @Affry - I agree the business has taken over, so now more artists are thinking product-first, then art. We have those artists today who would be the equivalent to John Lennon, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding and Janis Joplin. The artists you mentioned represented a certain culture and era. Janis Joplin and John Lennon are the faces of the 60s - 70s and everything that happened during that period of time - the Vietnam War, woman's rights, civil rights, etc. Honestly, only time will tell who these artists are. I think it's unfair to automatically judge "who's that classic artist" when their music hasn't had enough time to stand the test of it. Biggie and Pac are definitely those greats. Nas. Of course you may disagree, but Jay. Definitely Eminem. Honestly I think if Wayne continues the way he's going, he'll be there too - simply because he is the face of this new generation.

    I think only time will tell. Btw, you just gave me an idea for another blog. Thanks lol

    ReplyDelete