Wednesday, April 6, 2011

ALBUM REVIEW: Pusha T – Fear of God


What up hip-hop heads! Let me start by saying this: Personally, I never liked Pusha T as a rapper. In fact, I never liked The Clipse – as a group. Although I enjoyed their first album, it was mostly because The Neptunes saved them with their grade-A production. But I felt like their content was overdone and most of all – Malice and Pusha T just were not good emcee's, in my opinion. There was nothing that made them any different than the next rapper. This was around when their first album Lord Willin' dropped. Fast forward to 2011. Things have definitely changed. As Pusha T states on this very mixtape, “Malice found religion, Tony found prison, I'm still trying to find my way up out this fuckin kitchen...” Pusha T has taken the solo route, and by the sound of this mixtape, I fully understand why Kanye signed him.

Before I get into the review, I gotta say that I commend Pusha for taking his craft as a writer seriously and always finding ways to improve himself. We have to remember that rap is an artform and just like singing, dancing, painting or any other artform, you must constantly work at it to improve your skill in someway – to stay sharp. You clearly can tell that Pusha T makes conscious decisions on his style of writing, even since The Clipse's 2nd album Hell Hath No Fury, when he changed his style up with the tone of his voice. Fear of God is no different. Yes, he talks about cocaine – so if you're no longer entertained by this insanely overdone concept, this isn't the mixtape for you. But the difference between this mixtape and any other cocaine-induced project is how it's delivered. The same way Jay-Z took the recycled theme of being a “hustler” and turned it into Reasonable Doubt, Pusha T has found his voice. After all, it's not what you say – it's how you say it.

To me, Fear of God got off on the wrong foot with using a clip from every rapper's Biblical movie – Scarface, as the intro. Personally, I'm tired of rappers referencing Pacino's classic role...be original! With that said, once “My God” came on, I quickly shut up. The horns and power behind Hit-Boy's track was too much to deny and surprisingly, Pusha did his job over it. His strength is definitely in imagery and subtle wordplay while telling a short story.

“A hustler's paradise: a lucky pair of dice.
Down $40, but the street gon' have you square by night.
Didn't bat an eye at it, kept the poker face – cuz the batter I added had the coco-base.
When you get to heaven's door, they won't hold a space
if you numb like the flesh on a smoker's face.”

Things only get better as the mixtape progresses. “I Still Wanna”, “Feelin Myself”, “Blow” and “Cook It Down” all go hard, one after another. I've never sold crack a day in my life, but Pusha knows how to keep me entertained and taps into emotions that allow you to relate to what he's talking about. Most importantly, I feel him now. He says a phrase like,

“You know what fame is?
Sittin with the women of your dreams and forgettin' what her name is.
You know what pain is?
Flushing 2 bricks and have a nigga try to strain it out the drainage”

...and just from the way it's emphasized, I can empathize with him and see things from his perspective.



Production-wise, most of the project is more for the car: mid tempo, base driven, southern style – heavy horns, organs, high pitch snares; but he found places to switch it up, which gave the project a little more variety. Songs like “Open Your Eyes” and “Raid” feat. 50 Cent and Pharrell Williams are clear examples of this.

Although Pusha impressed me for the most part on this mixtape, there were just a couple of not needed songs. Honestly, he could've had a classic, had he cut the freestyles. I think the days of rapping over other artists are getting to be played out, unless the artist completely mutilates the track – which Pusha doesn't do for Lil Wayne's “Money On My Mind”, Jay-Z's “Can I Live” and Soulja Boy's “Speakers Goin' Hammer”. Don't get it twisted, he does his thing – but I'd rather hear the originals. Aside from that, the only other WTF moment was the Kanye-laced “Touch It”. This song just seemed hilariously out of place. It's funny hearing a hardcore rapper beg a girl to just “touch it...” I was entertained, but it seemed like a song more for Kanye and less for Pusha.

I think there's a lot that can be learned from Pusha T. If you study the greats, and you will eventually do great things. Pusha has a lot to be proud of with this Fear of God mixtape. Is it perfect? No. Is it classic? Depends on who you ask. But one thing's for sure, Pusha T has transformed himself into a lyricist on this mixtape. The next step: staying consistent. I think he has it in him to do this, lord willin'.



Grade: B- (7.5/10)
Standout tracks: “My God”, “I Still Wanna”, “Blow”, “Open Your Eyes”



No comments:

Post a Comment